Java / Object, Class and Package
How to implement equals method correctly?
Consider that you are overriding equals method for Employee Class having empId, firstName and lastName.
- Check for reference equality, if equal then return true.
- Check for null check on the object argument being passed, if null return false.
- Compare getClass methods, if different return false.
- Always compare numeric and identify fields first.
- Check for field's references first and then check for null and equality.
- Override hashcode method whenever you override equals method.
The above steps are illustrated in the below example.
More Related questions...